Mobile apps are on a rage today. Any company or individual, after investing a huge amount of time, efforts on the mobile app development, will strongly wish that the app should be successful and should stand out in the market to acquire the #Top position with more number of downloads. Many people believe that the success of the app depends only on the coding but that’s not the complete truth. Effective TESTING plays an equally vital role for the App to become successful.
Mobile App users are not only extremely picky but also solicitous. They determine within seconds whether the app is intuitive or is complicated for them to use. Thorough testing is the key to attract the customers by creating an extra-ordinary first impression over them!
Some of the key factors to focus on for successful mobile app development and effective mobile app testing are as follows:
Think like a customer
Any developer must think from a customer’s point of view and should understand what the target market is and target audience of the app that you want to develop. Developing an app without considering the target audience may become the reason behind app failure at later stages.
Get into character
There are different types of users with different tech proficiency levels of various age groups that will use the app you develop. So it is important to think about how different ‘personas’ will approach differently towards your app.
Strategic plan for testing
Before launching the App, strategic plan should be developed by the developers for thorough testing of apps and should use it as a metric to test the app in real time.
The foremost consideration to make, before initiating mobile app testing is to choose the devices to be used for testing the app.
- OS Version – Mobile apps should be tested on all major stable OS versions.
- Screen Resolution – Use a mix of different screen resolutions to test the mobile app, because the user experience varies on different screen sizes and screen resolutions.
- Form Factor – The size, configuration and physical arrangement of the devices are different. So the app should run smoothly on all devices irrespective of the size and configuration. Mobile applications may act differently on Smartphones and tablets.
Manual vs. Automated Testing
For effective testing, you should define at the initial stage itself, which features should be tested using automated software and manual testing tools.
Different type of Mobile Apps testing
Different types of testing that are effective to ensure excellent user experience are as follows:
1. Usability testing: Usability testing refers to evaluating a mobile app by testing it as user’s point of view. It lets the design and development teams identify problems before they are coded. This kind of testing starts from requirements Phase and Mock-ups & Graphical wire framing.
2. Unit testing: Unit testing is the backbone of mobile testing. It should happen early in the process of writing code which help developers to understand how the App works under different scenarios
- Load testing – This test checks whether the application perform well under anticipated user loads.
- Spike testing – This test ensures whether the application perform well under sudden large spikes in the load generated by users.
- Volume testing – This test is used to know whether the application perform well when large number of data is populated in #database and the overall software system’s behaviour is monitored.
- Scalability testing – This test ensures whether the application perform well under “scaling up” to support an increase in user load.
4. Risk based testing– #Risk based testing is type of software testing in which the features and functions to be tested are based on priority, importance and potential failures. This testing reduces the residual level of product risk when the system is deployed. This testing should be started early in the project, identifying risks to system quality.
5. Security testing: #Security testing is a type of software testing performed to check whether Mobile app is secured or is there any information leakage by encrypting the application or using wide range of software, hardware and firewall.
6. Functional testing: #Functional testing is very much more important for any software pre-release. It involves the complete integration of the system and evaluate the system’s compliance with its specified requirements.
Creativity plays a crucial role in testing and in fact it is the most enjoyable part of mobile app development. Krify has a dedicated team of testers who are well equipped in performing different types of Testing like #Functional Testing, #Performance Testing, #Usability testing, #Security testing etc.